In November 2021, The University of Melbourne, awarded Ausdecom the contract, for the Stage 1 Remediation, Fisherman’s Bend package of works.
The site is in the “Employment Precinct” of “Fisherman’s Bend Urban Renewal Area” and comprises a portion of the former General Motors Holden Manufacturing facility.
The main objectives of the Remediation package of works, comprised the demolition and removal of all concrete hardstand, Removal of redundant pits, plant bases, flumes and all remaining infrastructure associated with the sites former use as an automotive manufacturing facility, and remediation from within identified contaminated soil and groundwater impacted areas within the site, to support the Environmental Audit and subsequent redevelopment of the site as a tertiary educational facility.
- Unknown extent of soil and groundwater contamination
- Excavations extending below the depth of the water
- Unexpected finds originating from the sites previous
- Unknown quantities of asbestos present on site
- 15,500T of concrete demolished and safely transported off site for recycling
- 7,500m3 of contaminated soils treated/remediated to a criteria suitable for re-use on site
- 430,000L of contaminated groundwaters treated and safely discharged
- 2,200t of contaminated material, transported and safely disposed of from site to the relevant, Licensed EPA disposal/treatment facilities